Tuesday 13 May 2014

Monoprinting.





Printing is something I am passionate about and have been since I started art in level 2, it has been something I have always shown a keen interest in and found myself always excelling in this area, so it came to no surprise when I decided I wanted to base my final major project around printing . 

Monoprinting is a process I am familiar with and have been for about 3 years now, I created some strong outcomes back last year after taking inspiration from an athems visit. 
Monoprinting or etching is a single printed image that can be made from a plate unlike other printing techniques you can only make one print proof rather than printing an edition or multiple copies. 

Monoprinting is one of my favourite printing techniques because you never know what the the outcome is going to be, each print will be unique either due to the way you have applied the ink via the roller or even how you have drawn on your image, or soacked your paper. You will never created two monoprints which will be identicle and that's the fun in the process. 

Individuality in prints I think is important because you want to show progression within your work and Monoprinting helps you to do this, at the beginning I wasn't getting the consistancy of the ink quite right and this is visible in the prints, some prints I had not blotted the Fabriano enough and this caused the paper to rip this again was visible in the prints, creating a series of monoprints is a work in a progress, you don't begin to create a final outcome, you create samples and get better each time till eventually you get the print you require with the correct consistancy of ink, the right amount of etching and a brilliantly soaked piece of Fabriano that has been put through the press with the right amount of pressure. 

The only problem as well as the obvious that I have already mentioned that I came across when creating these prints, was the consistancy of my etching, I have such a delicate way of drawing and to print on plates sometimes that will not work in your favour, it didn't first of all and I have a few prints in my visual diary which show this. But to resolve this issue I found that if I did not entirely blot my piece of Fabriano the paper would lift the ink off the plate much better, and that's how I ended up with some beautiful prints at the end. You have to persevere with printing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment